Thursday, March 19, 2009

I Have Thought About This for a Long Time

I have given considerable thought to this FieldTaught concept for a long time. It probably goes back as far as in the late 1990s when I found out that the land my family owns in Alabama could be prime habitat for the red hills salamander (Phaeognathus hubrichti). This species is listed threatened by USFWS. I have wanted to survey the limited habitat preferred by this salamander for years. The only problem being that I have not lived in the area for some time. My father who actually owns the land has told me that he plans to give me this land. There is about 200 acres but only about 15 acres of it would suitable for the red hills salamander. However, the rest of the land is primarily pine plantation with a few random hardwood patches. There are a lot of species to be studied there. There are really only two problems with starting with this parcel of land. 1.) It is probably a two hour drive from a decent commercial airport (Mobile). 2.) It is surrounded by hunting leases, So I would not want to take anyone out there during hunting season. However, this may have to be the initial base of this project until I could raise sufficient funds to purchase more accessible but undeveloped land.

No comments: